Friday, November 27, 2009

Noche de Gala


So, Colegio Americano has a huge talent show each year for the students. I had no idea it was such a big deal when I first heard about it, but I certainly learned later that the Noche de Gala was THE event of the year. (My first hint should have been that the students were allowed to miss class 2-3 days a week for about a month or two to practice.)

Anyway, the event was incredible. It was held at a local theatre, and it lasted 4 hours!!!!! One of the numbers was a full version play of Midsummer Night's Dream. There were hip hop routines, traditional Indian dances, Whitney Houston songs, violin Disney medlies, and band after band after band. (I really think that at least half of the students at my school are in a band.) And the cheerleaders even did their routine (on the stage floor--no mats!)

I was really quite impressed. My only complaint was that teachers were required to stay backstage and chaperone the students. I really wanted to watch though, so I snuck up to the balcony and watched as much as I could. The principal yelled at everyone the following day though for not being good chaperones. Oh well. :o) I'm glad I could tell my students I saw them perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment