Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Happy Thoughts

I promised Wilson this weekend that I would try to be more positive. I have a tendency to become overwhelmed by all the negative, so here is my effort to counteract that issue. Positive things here in Ecuador include:
1. Kentucky Fried Chicken: It's no Zaxby's or Chick-fil-a, but I certainly enjoyed my chicken fingers and fries on Saturday!
2. Salsa Dancing: We got to go out dancing on Saturday night. We went to a place Wilson's brother told us about, and it was really cool. Good music, classy atmosphere, nice dance floor. Of course, we were the only "school" dancers there, so we stuck out quite a bit. But, I think we stick out anyway simply because we're both about 2 feet taller than everyone else! :o)
3. Our boxes: After Wilson spent everyday for 5 days and a little bit of money, we finally got our boxes released to us. We had shipped 4 boxes of our stuff here, and it was really fun to open them up and go through them. I forgot about some of the random things I brought, but I'm glad I have a few pieces of home. My UGA bottle opener that plays the fight song. Our laminated engagement announcement magnet for the fridge. My disco ball ornament to hang in my classroom. And of course all the practical stuff like towels, sheets, kitchen utensils, printer, etc.
4. Cheerleading: I'm really enjoying cheerleading so far. The other 2 coaches are really nice, and I'm enjoying not being in charge! Of course, I can't seem to concentrate during practices because of all the iguanas running around. It's sooo bizarre!!!
5. The river: At the back of our gated community, there's a park that sits on the river. It's so peaceful!!!! Wilson and I went yesterday morning and just sat there for a little while. So, now I have a place to go unwind when everything here in the city gets to me.

So, each day gets a little better. Wilson and I have discussed that we'll never actually be able to get used to it as much as deal with it, but progress is always good!!!

2 comments:

  1. Take some pictures of the park near the river and post if you can. I would love to see that. Also, how long ago did Wilson leave? I get the impression that he is a little surprised about how things are. Glad to be able to read about you and we are praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete