Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Safe Haven


So, our apartment is definitely my happy place here in Ecuador. It’s so beautiful and so safe, and I just feel comfortable here! After looking at several other apartments first that were old and dirty and had bugs everywhere, this place is really a little slice of heaven. It’s hard to explain if you can’t see how the people here live, but we feel very blessed to have found this place. Each day our landlord lady, Elizabeth, adds something else to the place. Just yesterday, she brought us two more chairs for the “living room” and is still bringing us 4 new chairs for our kitchen table. She even gave Wilson a power strip when he asked. And she’s such a nice lady. Her husband is an admiral in the navy here or something and is fairly important. But he spends most of his time in Quito. He has these bodyguard/personal assistant type guys who stay here with Elizabeth, her mother, and their 3 boys. The main guy is Kleber, and he’s my buddy now! And, her youngest son, Alexander, who is about 8, will just talk to me forever! We bonded because he saw my teddybear in the apartment and brought his over to show me he still sleeps with one, too. Ha! And when I mentioned to Elizabeth’s mother that I liked her house shoes and was trying to find a similar pair, she wrote down my size and said she’d find them for me. So, it feels so nice to know that there’s someone next door looking out for us! And, of course, it helps me practice my Spanish, too! :o)






1 comment: