Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Wedding Singer



The wedding was nice, and I certainly enjoyed getting dressed up. But it was also quite interesting (Kristin, you should take notes!) First of all, it wasn’t an actual wedding ceremony. They just did a civil service and had a reception/party later which is what we actually attended. (That’s not really the norm here, but it’s fairly common.) In the beginning, it seemed pretty typical—we mingled, we danced, we ate wedding cookies. Then, I realized there were a lot of differences from what I was used to. A mariachi band showed up and sang, inviting the groom to come up and sing with them, and they were actually quite good. Dinner was served around midnight (which is normal here). Anyone other than me would have loved the food. :o) Wilson’s brother Hans gave a speech and recited 2 poems (I seriously thought this was hilarious! He was so over-the-top dramatic, but everyone else seemed to take it seriously. I felt like I was in the middle of a Saturday Night Live skit! Everyone would have died laughing if one of my brothers had recited a poem at my wedding!!). Wilson’s brother Xavier (pronounced Javier) started singing karaoke after the bride herself had already done 2 songs. (Note: no one was drunk either. Maybe a glass or two of wine, but this was just their normal selves!) And, the worst part of the night was that there was no cake! What kind of a wedding doesn’t serve cake? But it gets worse. Actually, there was a cake there (which helped me to endure the poetry reading and bad karaoke), but it turned out that it was just there for decoration!!!! It was a fake cake!!! Ha! But, overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And, the bride’s sister has a huge house on the beach and they’ve invited us to go this weekend for another party they’re all having. So, I’m practicing my karaoke so I’ll be ready! :o)

1 comment: